SUNDAY, JANUARY 22, 2017
In January, many of us are exposed to a seasonal chill that is simply alarming most days. The burst of artic air when you head outdoors is hard to ignore during those winter months. As a result, it comes as no surprise that many choose to limit their outdoor activities in favor of warmer indoor options. However, while we endure the cooler months inside, a few safety considerations are wise especially if using gas, oil, charcoal or other devices known for emitting carbon monoxide. There are multiple resources available online to print and share with your congregation or staff. Such literature and signs are great resources to stay aware of carbon monoxide symptoms, causes and preventative options. Below is a very general listing of a few things to consider.
Headache, dizziness, nausea, flu-like symptoms, fatigue, shortness of breath and/or confusion or impaired judgment.
Faulty furnace, water heater, gas, oil or charcoal burning equipment. Leak and/or vent blockage. Poorly vented stoves and ranges. Poorly vented fireplaces. Generators and fuel powered equipment running outside a leaky window or open window. Automobiles running inside a carport or garage (even with an open garage door). The use of a non-conventional source to heat a room (gas stove/oven).
Schedule an inspection to look for faulty equipment and CO leaks within your structure.
Install a battery powered CO detector.
Use common sense when operating equipment and autos near a building or inside an attached garage or shed.
Bill Quickel's - Insurance Plus Agencies Inc. 114 Court St. Pomeroy, OHio 45769
Check and replace batteries - on "Time change" days. It's a good reminder.
Posted 1:42 PM